We are a coalition of agencies and organizations dedicated to environmental education and conducting unique, top quality outdoor school experiences. We provide a three day-long ODS experience at three different field sites: Oregon Garden, Salem 4-H Center, and Minto Brown Park. Three elementary schools will be accepted to our program in the fall and three more schools in the spring. In a unique feature schools will rotate to a different field site each day, all within convenience distance from S-K schools.
Fall (three schools) – October
Spring (three schools) – May
Time: 9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
• A program that is academically oriented and aligned to the state OARS (content and themes), NGSS, contains literacy components, and uses effective instructional practices
• Engaging and hands-on lessons that allow ALL students to explore and examine their environment
• Instructors and experts with years of experience in both content and instruction with additional training for working with elementary students
• Common themes and essential questions connecting all field sites together
• Social-emotional learning components to build a sense of community and a focus on equity, diversity and inclusion to make all students feel welcome and included.
• Opportunities to journal and reflect
• Support for pre- and post-learning opportunities in the classroom
The coalition is composed of the following agencies and organizations who are directly involved in providing instruction
• Salem Environmental Education
• Oregon Garden
• Oregon Forests Resource Institute
• Marion Soil, Water, and Conservation District
• OSU Extension Service
• City of Salem Public Works
• City of Keizer Public Works
Fees per student: $60. Schools can use their remaining allotment of outdoor school funds for transportation and to purchase a variety of resources from curriculum support and field studies equipment, to student supplies (boots, ponchos, etc.).
This was the most content rich outdoor school experience I have ever participated in with students. My students gained valuable information from highly qualified professionals from different community agencies. The collaboration of these agencies teamed with the highly qualified staff, allowed my students to gain knowledge, confidence, and a new interest in outdoor experiences. The positive comments, encouragement, and career examples from the staff has created intrigue for potential future career opportunities. I highly recommend this program.
5th grade teacher
Englewood Elementary School