Edible Mushroom Foray
Come join us for an edible mushroom foray in the beautiful forests of the Oregon Coast Range. Salem Environmental Education is organizing the event and the Willamette Valley Mushroom Society of Salem will provide the expertise in identifying the edible species to collect. There will be a number of field sites to explore around the Drift Creek Camp area.
WHEN: Sunday, October 29
WHERE: Drift Creek Camp – Directions and site information at www.driftcreek.org. Allow two hours to drive from Salem to the camp.
COST: $35 per person
REGISTRATION: You can register and pay the fees at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/edible-mushroom-foray-tickets-703550738197?aff=oddtdtcreator
There is a limited number of attendees so register and pay your NONREFUNDABLE fees early.
9:00 Check in at the main lodge. Coffee, tea and muffins provided. Please be on time.
9:30 Edible mushroom presentation
10:00 Signing up for a site to collect from
10:15 Car pool to site to collect at. Sites all within 1-2 miles from camp.
10:30 Collecting edible mushrooms. Lunch/snacks in the field
1:30 Return to camp and confirm identification of edible mushrooms collected. Soup and bread will be provided. Possible cooking of some mushrooms
WHAT TO BRING:
- The weather in the coastal mountains may be cool and wet. Please dress accordingly with layers and brightly colored outer clothing. A change of dry clothes and shoes are suggested.
- Old sneakers or boots may be necessary for wet or muddy trails.
- Knife and bag or basket for collecting. Wax paper to separate layers
- Packed lunch or snacks and a water bottle for the field
- Hand lens and GPS units are optional.
- There is very limited cell service. Emergency phone number at camp is 541-996-3978
- NO PETS
If you have any questions contact:
Salem Environmental Education